Common Law Marriage

Once proved or declared, an informal or “Common Law” marriage has the same validity as a ceremonial marriage, and can only be dissolved only by death, annulment, or divorce.

A Common Law or informal marriage between a man and woman may be proved by evidence that:

  • A declaration of informal marriage was signed and filed with a County Clerk;  or
  • A man and woman agreed to be married, and after reaching that agreement they lived together in Texas as husband and wife and represented to others that they were married.