An individual may file a Motion to Enforce a prior Court Order when the other party to the first legal action is not complying with the terms of the prior Court Order.  The violation may involve child support, child visitation infringements, property issues, or any other issues expressly addressed in the Order to be enforced.  Certain time limitations may apply.

The Court that rendered the original Decree of Divorce retains the power to enforce its Orders.  However, the Court may not amend, modify, alter, or change its Orders in any way.  If the Order is ambiguous or unclear, the party believed to be in violation cannot be held in contempt of Court. 

Enforcement options for spousal maintenance may differ, depending on whether the spousal support was Court ordered or contractual.